Thursday, October 6, 2011

A little scare

Today I had a doctor's appointment. Everything was going just like normal when the doctor went to feel for Blaine's head to make sure it was pointing down. He looked a little concerned and said he couldn't feel anything. Then he felt around my stomach and could feel his head on the right side of me. He had me go into the ultrasound room so they could check what position Blaine was in and sure enough, Blaine's head was on my right side, his bum was on my left side, and his feet were downward. He was exactly sideways looking down. The ultrasound technician kept saying what an odd position this was and she acted as though she had never seen a baby posed like that. I asked her if it was a problem and she told me no. Then she asked how far along I am and I told her 37 weeks. She then took back her statement and said that at this point in my pregnancy, it was a concern. She didn't seem too worried though. She just explained that they would try to turn Blaine manually. Normally when they do this, you have to go to the hospital just in case something goes wrong, but my doctor said since it wasn't breech and since I have plenty of amniotic fluid, he saw no risk in trying to turn him there in the office. So he grabbed my stomach and pushed Blaine in the right position. It didn't hurt at all and Blaine moved quickly. The doctor then explained that if he moved again then they might need to induce me the next time they repositioned him, otherwise I'll probably have to have a c-section. Nate knows how to check to see if Blaine's head is down so I'm going to have him do that each night just so I can know what's going on. I think I'll be able to tell, but I'll have Nate help me just to be sure.

After my appointment, Nate took me out to lunch and I explained everything to him. I was really shook up. I don't know why because in my head I knew everything was okay. I think it's just because this is the first thing that hasn't gone perfectly this whole pregnancy. I'm not worried about it now. I'm just grateful that Blaine and I are both okay. The drama is in the delivery, not our health so that's something to be thankful for. Whatever happens, whether I have a c-section, am induced, or everything works out natural I know it's going to be just fine. I'm just glad I have Nate with me to go through everything with me. He's been the best.

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to mention... it snowed today! I'm sure it'll all be melted by tomorrow, but it was still a wake up call to the Rexburg winters. Hopefully we'll have a few more good weeks before it snows again.


No comments: