Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Breast feeding and Steve Jobs

So I went to a free breast feeding class last week. I am all for breast feeding. My mom brain washed me good enough to know it's the best route to take, but this class made me feel like breast feeding is a cult. We watched this really happy video where things like "Breast feeding is great for the environment, for you, and for your baby!" were said by a woman who was obviously smiling too big when she was talking. Also, they seemed really eager to show video of women's nipples and breasts. Something I understand is essential to see if you're going to watch a demonstration, but I was surprised to see like 20 different women, all with their breasts out just for things like the introduction. And it's not like these are pretty breasts, these are 'I just gave birth to a baby' breasts. I guess they just want me to get with the program and be comfortable with that sort of thing. I'm just glad I didn't invite Nate to come with me. We had one dad in there with his wife and I could tell he was uncomfortable. Poor guy. In the end, I'm really glad I went because I did learn a lot and found it very instructive.

In other news, Steve Jobs died today. I'm glad he resigned as CEO before he died as I'm sure apple would have been left in ruins if he hadn't prepared a way for them to run without him. Nate and I were joking that Steve must have read the reviews for the iPhone 4s and it killed him. One thing that might be good for publicity is now less people are focused on their disappointment about not getting the iPhone 5, and we're all focused on how much we love Steve Jobs (just wait for all the biographies to start pouring in). One thing is for sure, I am not super excited about apple's future now that Steve is out of the picture. I'm sure it will remain a large and powerful company for a good while, but I wonder if it will keep up with the demands for the nerds. I guess we'll just have to watch what happens next.

2 weeks and 6 days 'till Blaine's due!


2 comments:

The Bunzells said...

Breastfeeding really is the best for your babies...has all the antibodies that formula can't provide. HOWEVER, from my experience, its a pain in the bootie! It makes it so the baby is solely dependent on you for feeding EVERY 3 hours (unless you have enough pumped for someone else to feed), and its hard to do in public. I feel like I always need to be at my own home, inlaws, or parents home every 3 hours in order to do a feeding. But on a positive note, it is cheap!

Kristi said...

Pretty soon you're gonna feel like one of those women on the video with your breasts just out there for everyone to see. Seeing other women do it is a good way to learn though. You may already have information overload on breastfeeding, but here's a link for you to a good article: https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/some-ins-and-outs-laid-back-breastfeeding

I have not a single Apple product in my possession - I am way behind the times. I'm totally itching for an iPad though. Too bad about Steve.