Monday, September 12, 2011

I don't care if other women have given birth!

Sometimes when I think about the fact that I will indefinitely have to go through the whole labor and birthing thing, it makes me afraid. Sure I'll get through it but it's still a bit of a daunting thought. I think I hate hate hate it when people say "just think of all the women who have given birth before you." ...that's nice. Good for them! Something they don't talk about is the millions of complications that have happened before me too. I get where their coming from. They're thinking in terms of "dude, it's a common thing and you can figure it out like the rest of them." and I'm thinking in terms of "ouch, that sounds like it hurts and is difficult to recover from. That will be miserable for me to go through." I'm not saying that I'm the only one or that I'm singled out here, I'm just saying that it is scary. It's like if I had a hammer and told you I was going to stub your toe. Would it comfort you to know that other toes have been stubbed before yours and that you would heal? No. You would think "AHHH!"

Things that would be more comforting would be to say something about how I'm a strong individual, I have good genes, people will support me, it'll be worth it, time will pass, etc. Not lessening the scary and painful situation by comparing me to other people, but actually focusing on what I have to go through.

4 comments:

Diana said...

you make me happy. I'm so glad you're a blogger

Diedre said...

I know how you feel Kate, I felt the same way about all that!

You are an incredibly strong and determined person and I've never known you to fail at anything you've set your mind to. You're going to be a wonderful mom and I'm so sad I don't get to be there to see you do all this.

Kristi said...

It would be easier to prepare for this whole birth thing if you knew in advance what the birth would be like, but no, it's so darn unpredictable and there's no way to really know what it will be like until you go through it. So I'll just say, you are a strong individual, you have good genes, people will support you, it's sooooo worth it, and ... what was the last thing you wanted to hear ... oh, something about time. But seriously, YOU CAN DO IT!

Kathleen said...

No doubt about it, it is a scary thing and no matter what, you can't get out of it now. You can only go through it, but you really are a strong person, you definitely have good genes (judging by the picture I've seen of all your mom's family lined up in a row), it will absolutely be worth it, and I will be there to hold your hand (God willing)! And once you've gone through it, you'll know all of this more certainly, especially how strong you are. Then you'll never be so afraid again, even when you see it coming.